Mental Health Act 1983 Statutory Forms
In England, forms must comply with the Mental Health (Hospital, Guardianship and Treatment) (England) Regulations 2008, as amended by Mental Health (Hospital, Guardianship and Treatment) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 with effect from 1/12/20 (some forms were not changed by the 2020 regulations).
Description of icons:
- : Editable Word documents (also on Gov.uk).
- : Printable pink PDFs, updated for MHLO.
- : Fillable pink PDFs, created for MHLO.
- : Fillable smart PDFs from the MHA Free Form Project (see release notes and user guide).
N.B. All forms have the new "electronic forms" wording where appropriate. The updated pink forms state "Form amended by SI 2020/1072 for use from 1 December 2020" (this wording does not affect the validity of the forms any more than the name/address of a company selling the forms would).
|Form M1: Part 6 - date of reception of a patient in England|
|Form M2: Section 25 - report barring discharge by nearest relative|
- Statutory forms guidance. DHSC, 'Electronic communication of statutory forms under the Mental Health Act' (27/11/20) — "An amendment to Mental Health (Hospital, Guardianship and Treatment) (England) Regulations 2008 allows many of the statutory forms under the Mental Health Act 1983 (MHA) to be communicated electronically. This guidance explains: (1) the circumstances in which statutory forms and other documents can be sent electronically; (2) best practice for sending them electronically; (3) general principles around sending, signing and storing electronic forms." Updated version: DHSC, 'Electronic communication of statutory forms under the Mental Health Act' (updated 13/1/21)
- SLAM guidelines for disclosure, 22/10/10 - This Trust's policy is now (a) to provide copies of section papers on request as soon as reasonably practicable; (b) in connection with hearings, to provide access to records if the RC has not objected within 24 hours; and (c) in other circumstances, to provide access to records under the DPA, urgently if appropriate.
The old-wording DH pink forms are archived here. These forms were in use from 3/11/08 to 30/11/20 inclusive (except CTO12). Either old or new forms could be used for non-electronic communication between 1/12/20 and 1/2/21.
A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, A10, A11 H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6 G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8, G9, G10 M1, M2 T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6 CTO1, CTO2, CTO3, CTO4, CTO5, CTO6, CTO7, CTO8, CTO9, CTO10, CTO11, CTO12]
In Wales, forms must comply with the Mental Health (Hospital, Guardianship, Community Treatment and Consent to Treatment) (Wales) Regulations 2008.
The Welsh Assembly Government have produced forms which are available on the NHS Wales website.