CQC - Other links
- See Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014, and the "What links here" part of that page for details of cases.
- Use of MHA in general hospitals. CQC, 'Use of the Mental Health Act 1983 in general hospitals without a psychiatric unit' (April 2010) — Apparently this guidance document has been "withdrawn".
- CQC, 'Changes to consent to treatment for patients subject to a CTO' (May 2012). This page explains the change to the regulations.
Annual report 2009
Information for patients
- What to expect if your rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act - 25/5/10 - Information for patients about about what to expect and how to complain (related press release)
- Statutory reporting related to the Mental Health Act 1983 - March 2010 - The page deals with new reporting requirements in relation to detained patients who go AWOL or die (in force on 1/4/10 for NHS service providers and 1/10/10 for independent service providers); it also covers s61 reports.
National Preventive Mechanism
- Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, 'Monitoring places of detention: First annual report of the United Kingdom's National Preventive Mechanism: 1 April 2009 – 31 March 2010' (Cm 8010, February 2011)
The CQC itself
- A new registration system from April 2010 - 30/9/09 - In the future all health and adult social care providers who provide regulated activities will be required to register with the Care Quality Commission. New registration comes into effect on 1/4/10 for NHS trusts (including PCTs) and 1/10/10 for adult social care and independent healthcare providers
- CQC, 'CQC inspector dismissed for gross misconduct' (27/4/12). 'A CQC inspector has been dismissed for gross misconduct after an internal investigation revealed that the impartiality of their regulatory judgements had been seriously compromised. This came to light as a result of whistle-blowing information to the CQC. No additional detail can be provided as CQC has now referred this matter to the police.'
- Care Quality Commission, 'A fresh start for the regulation and inspection of mental health services' (29/11/13)†
- Andy McNicoll, 'CQC to appoint senior mental health inspector to "root out poor services"' (Community Care, 11/10/13)†
- Department of Health, 'Performance and Capability Review - Care Quality Commission' (gateway ref 17277, 23/2/12)
Treatment of whistleblower
- Andy McNicoll, 'CQC chief "sorry" for "very personal" comments on whistleblower's mental health' (Community Care, 12/9/12)
- Nina Lakhani, 'NHS watchdog claimed that whistleblower Kay Sheldon was "mentally ill"' (Independent, 15/8/12).
Creation of CQC
- Health and Social Care Bill 2007-08 (updated as the Bill progressed through Parliament)
- Liberating the NHS: Report of the arms-length bodies review - 26/7/10 - The proposal for the CQC is: "Retain as quality inspectorate across health and social care, operating a joint licensing regime with Monitor. Host organisation for Healthwatch England. Current responsibility of assessing NHS commissioning moves to the NHS Commissioning Board. May receive functions from other organisations, e.g. HTA and HFEA"
- Care Quality Commission (16/11/07)