Community treatment orders
[17A.—(1) The responsible clinician may by order in writing discharge a detained patient from hospital subject to his being liable to recall in accordance with section 17E below.
(2) A detained patient is a patient who is liable to be detained in a hospital in pursuance of an application for admission for treatment.
(3) An order under subsection (1) above is referred to in this Act as a "community treatment order".
(4) The responsible clinician may not make a community treatment order unless—
- (a) in his opinion, the relevant criteria are met; and
- (b) an approved mental health professional states in writing—
- (i) that he agrees with that opinion; and
- (ii) that it is appropriate to make the order.
(5) The relevant criteria are—
- (a) the patient is suffering from mental disorder of a nature or degree which makes it appropriate for him to receive medical treatment;
- (b) it is necessary for his health or safety or for the protection of other persons that he should receive such treatment;
- (c) subject to his being liable to be recalled as mentioned in paragraph (d) below, such treatment can be provided without his continuing to be detained in a hospital;
- (d) it is necessary that the responsible clinician should be able to exercise the power under section 17E(1) below to recall the patient to hospital; and
- (e) appropriate medical treatment is available for him.
(6) In determining whether the criterion in subsection (5)(d) above is met, the responsible clinician shall, in particular, consider, having regard to the patient's history of mental disorder and any other relevant factors, what risk there would be of a deterioration of the patient's condition if he were not detained in a hospital (as a result, for example, of his refusing or neglecting to receive the medical treatment he requires for his mental disorder).
(7) In this Act—
- "community patient" means a patient in respect of whom a community treatment order is in force;
- "the community treatment order", in relation to such a patient, means the community treatment order in force in respect of him; and
- "the responsible hospital", in relation to such a patient, means the hospital in which he was liable to be detained immediately before the community treatment order was made, subject to section 19A below.]