MHA 1983 s12ZB
Mental Health Act 2007
- This section is not changed by the Mental Health Act 2007.
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
Requirement to exercise approval functions: England
[12ZB.—(1) The Secretary of State may impose a requirement on the National Health Service Commissioning Board (“the Board”) or a Special Health Authority for an approval function of the Secretary of State to be exercisable by the Secretary of State concurrently—
- (a) with the Board or (as the case may be) Special Health Authority, and
- (b) if an agreement under section 12ZA has effect, with the other person by whom the function is exercisable under that agreement.
(2) The Secretary of State may, in particular, require the body concerned to exercise an approval function—
- (a) in all circumstances or only in specified circumstances;
- (b) in all areas or only in specified areas.
(3) The Secretary of State may require the body concerned to exercise an approval function—
- (a) for a period specified in the requirement, or
- (b) for a period determined in accordance with the requirement.
(4) Where a requirement under subsection (1) is imposed, the Board or (as the case may be) Special Health Authority must comply with such instructions as the Secretary of State may give with respect to the exercise of the approval function.
(5) An instruction under subsection (4) may be given in such form as the Secretary of State may determine.
(6) The Secretary of State must publish instructions under subsection (4) in such form as the Secretary of State may determine.
(7) Where the Board or a Special Health Authority has an approval function by virtue of this section, the function is to be treated for the purposes of the National Health Service Act 2006 as a function that it has under that Act.
(8) The Secretary of State may make payments in connection with the exercise of an approval function by virtue of this section.]<