Mental Health Law Online
The internet resource on mental health law, and mental capacity law, for England & Wales. You can read a review of the site here.
Stay up to date
- 19/02/20: Case (Appointeeship, independent appeals, litigation friends). RH v SSWP  UKUT 48 (AAC) — AACR headnote: "Appointment to act - whether claimant with appointee precluded from bringing an appeal independently - whether First-tier Tribunal having power to appoint a litigation friend"
- 19/02/20: Case (DOL and common law). R (Jalloh) v SSHD  UKSC 4 — "The right to physical liberty was highly prized and protected by the common law long before the United Kingdom became party to the European Convention on Human Rights. A person who was unlawfully imprisoned could, and can, secure his release through the writ of habeas corpus. He could, and can, also secure damages for the tort of false imprisonment. This case is about the meaning of imprisonment at common law and whether it should, or should not, now be aligned with the concept of deprivation of liberty in article 5 of the ECHR."
- 19/02/20: Case (Reconsideration of Parole Board decision). Joseph, Application for Reconsideration by  PBRA 43 — Unsuccessful application by prisoner with mental health background for reconsideration on basis of irrationality and procedural unfairness of Parole Board oral hearing panel's decision not to direct release on licence.
- 17/02/20: Consultation. Tribunal Procedure Committee, 'Consultation on possible amendments to the Tribunal Procedure (First-Tier Tribunal) (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber) Rules 2008 on the timescale for listing Section 2 hearings' (from 11/2/20 to 7/4/20) — The TPC seeks answers to the following questions: (1) Do you agree that the requirement should be that the First-tier Tribunal lists all section 2 hearings within 10 days from receipt of the application notice rather than 7 days? (2) Do you have any other comments on this proposal?
- No current job adverts
Online CPD scheme providing 12 hours for £60: suitable for solicitors, barristers, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses
The Magic Book is a database of contact details - please contribute to it (the process is quick and simple).
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (London, 24/2/20)
- Edge Training: Transforming Care (London, 27/2/20)
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update - Annual Refresher (London, 28/2/20)
- Edge Training: Annual DOLS and LPS Conference (London, 2/3/20)
- Thalamos: Getting Started in Independent Practice - Best Practice for Psychiatrists (London, 6/3/20)
- PELT: Becoming a Mental Health Act Administrator - The basics (Hoylake, 10/3/20)
- PELT: Advanced course for Mental Health Act Administrators (Hoylake, 11/3/20)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (Manchester, 20/3/20)
- Edge Training: Level 3 Safeguarding Adults (London, 20/3/20)
- Edge Training: Unconscious Bias (London, 23/3/20)
- MHLA: Restricted Cases (Leeds, 27/3/20)
- MHLA: Foundation course (Manchester, 1/4/20)
- PELT: Introduction to the Mental Health Act (Hoylake, 2/4/20)
- PELT: Accredited - Admission to the MHT Panel (Hoylake, 7/4/20 and 8/4/20)
- MHLA: Panel Course (Leeds, 16/4/20 and 17/4/20)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (London, 20/4/20)
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update - Annual Refresher (London, 24/4/20)
- MHLA: Legal Aid Supervision (Birmingham, 24/4/20)
- Edge Training: DOLS Mental Health Assessors Annual Refresher Course (London, 27/4/20)
- MHLA: Panel Course (London, 27/4/20 and 28/4/20)
- PELT: Introduction to MCA and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (Hoylake, 30/4/20)
- Edge Training: Sexual relations, contraception, marriage and restricting contact (London, 1/5/20)
- Edge Training: Hoarding and the Law (London, 1/5/20)
- Edge Training: Self Neglect and the Mental Capacity Act (London, 4/5/20)
- MHLA: Introduction to the Court of Protection (London, 6/5/20)
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update (London, 11/5/20)
- MHLA: Legal Aid and Peer Review (London, 13/5/20)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (Manchester, 15/5/20)
- MHLA: Advocacy, Risk and Cross-Examination Masterclass (London, 18/5/20)
- PELT: Depriving Children and Young People of their liberty lawfully (Hoylake, 20/5/20)
- MHLA: Restricted Cases (London, 4/6/20)
- PELT: Introduction to using Court of Protection including s21A Appeals (Hoylake, 9/6/20)
- PELT: Court of Protection/MCA Masterclass - Legal Update (Hoylake, 2/7/20)
- Edge Training: Sexual relations, contraception, marriage and restricting contact (Manchester, 3/7/20)
- PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass - Legal Update (Hoylake, 4/7/20)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (Manchester, 25/9/20)
- Edge Training: Transforming Care (Manchester, 6/11/20)
We benefit when you buy fromhaving come from this website