MHA 1983 s131
(Redirected from S131)
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page. No results
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 36. Special provisions in relation to children and young people [Note that the chapter number relates to the old Reference Guide] — paragraphs 36.2 and 36.3
- Mental Health Act 1983 Code Of Practice for England, 36. Children and young people under the age of 18
Informal admission of patients
131.—(1) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as preventing a patient who requires treatment for mental disorder from being admitted to any hospital or [registered establishment] in pursuance of arrangements made in that behalf and without any application, order or direction rendering him liable to be detained under this Act, or from remaining in any hospital or [registered establishment] in pursuance of such arrangements after he has ceased to be so liable to be detained.
[(2) Subsections (3) and (4) below apply in the case of a patient aged 16 or 17 years who has capacity to consent to the making of such arrangements as are mentioned in subsection (1) above.
(3) If the patient consents to the making of the arrangements, they may be made, carried out and determined on the basis of that consent even though there are one or more persons who have parental responsibility for him.
(4) If the patient does not consent to the making of the arrangements, they may not be made, carried out or determined on the basis of the consent of a person who has parental responsibility for him.
(5) In this section—
- (a) the reference to a patient who has capacity is to be read in accordance with the Mental Capacity Act 2005; and
- (b) "parental responsibility" has the same meaning as in the Children Act 1989.]