Ill-treatment of patients
127.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person who is an officer on the staff of or otherwise employed in, or who is one of the managers of, a hospital[, independent hospital or care home]—
- (a) to ill-treat or wilfully to neglect a patient for the time being receiving treatment for mental disorder as an in-patient in that hospital or home; or
- (b) to ill-treat or wilfully to neglect, on the premises of which the hospital or home forms part, a patient for the time being receiving such treatment there as an out-patient.
(2) It shall be an offence for any individual to ill-treat or wilfully to neglect a mentally disordered patient who is for the time being subject to his guardianship under this Act or otherwise in his custody or care (whether by virtue of any legal or moral obligation or otherwise).
(3) Any person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
- (a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or to both;
- (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [five years] or to a fine of any amount, or to both.
(4) No proceedings shall be instituted for an offence under this section except by or with the consent of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
- Care Standards Act 2000
- Mental Health Act 2007 s55 & sch 11; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 6 and After-care under Supervision: Savings, Modifications and Transitional Provisions) Order 2008 wef 3/11/08
- Mental Health Act 1983 s42; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 3) Order 2007 wef 1/10/07