MHA 1983 s142
(Redirected from S142)
Mental Health Act 2007
- This section is not changed by the Mental Health Act 2007.
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page. No results
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
Pay, pensions, etc, of mentally disordered persons [repealed - see below]
142.—(1) Where a periodic payment falls to be made to any person by way of pay or pension or otherwise in connection with the service or employment of that or any other person, and the payment falls to be made directly out of moneys provided by Parliament or the Consolidated Fund [or the Scottish Consolidated Fund], or other moneys administered by or under the control or supervision of a government department, the authority by whom the sum in question is payable, if satisfied after considering medical evidence that the person to whom it is payable (referred to in this section as "the patient") is incapable by reason of mental disorder of managing and administering his property and affairs, may, instead of paying the sum to the patient, apply it in accordance with subsection (2) below.
(2) The authority may pay the sum or such part of it as they think fit to the institution or person having the care of the patient, to be applied for his benefit and may pay the remainder (if any) or such part of the remainder as they think fit—
- (a) to or for the benefit of persons who appear to the authority to be members of the patient’s family or other persons for whom the patient might be expected to provide if he were not mentally disordered, or
- (b) in reimbursement, with or without interest, of money applied by any person either in payment of the patient’s debts (whether legally enforceable or not) or for the maintenance or other benefit of the patient or such persons as are mentioned in paragraph (a) above.
(3) In this section "government department" does not include a Northern Ireland department.
Repealed - England & Wales
- (5) Sub-paragraph (6) applies where, before the commencement of sub-paragraph (4), an authority has, in respect of a person referred to in that section as "the patient", made payments under that section-
- (a) to an institution or person having the care of the patient, or
- (b) in accordance with subsection (2)(a) or (b) of that section.
- (6) The authority may, in respect of the patient, continue to make payments under that section to that institution or person, or in accordance with subsection (2)(a) or (b) of that section, despite the amendment made by sub-paragraph (4).
Repealed - Scotland
This section is repealed by s77(2), sch 2 Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007, Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 (Commencement No. 1, Transitional Provision and Savings) Order 2007, wef 5/10/07, with the saving that "section 142 shall continue to have effect in relation to periodic payments where the first of those payments was made before 5th October 2007".