MHA 1983 s130I
Mental Health Act 2007
- This section is not changed by the Mental Health Act 2007.
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
Welsh qualifying compulsory patients
[130I.—(1) This section applies for the purposes of section 130E above.
(2) A patient is a Welsh qualifying compulsory patient if he is–
- (a) liable to be detained under this Act (other than under section 135 or 136 below) and the hospital or registered establishment in which he is liable to be detained is situated in Wales;
- (b) subject to guardianship under this Act and the area of the responsible local social services authority within the meaning of section 34(3) above is situated in Wales; or
- (c) a community patient and the responsible hospital is situated in Wales.
(3) A patient is also a Welsh qualifying compulsory patient if the patient is to be regarded as being in Wales for the purposes of this subsection and–
- (a) not being a qualifying patient falling within subsection (2) above, he discusses with a registered medical practitioner or approved clinician the possibility of being given a form of treatment to which section 57 above applies; or
- (b) not having attained the age of 18 years and not being a qualifying patient falling within subsection (2) above, he discusses with a registered medical practitioner or approved clinician the possibility of being given a form of treatment to which section 58A above applies.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), a patient is to be regarded as being in Wales if that has been determined in accordance with arrangements made for the purposes of that subsection and section 130C(3), and published, by the Secretary of State and the Welsh Ministers.
(5) Where a patient who is a Welsh qualifying compulsory patient falling within subsection (3) above is informed that the treatment concerned is proposed in his case, he remains a qualifying patient falling within that subsection until–
- (a) the proposal is withdrawn; or
- (b) the treatment is completed or discontinued.]
- Mental Health (Wales) Measure 2010 s35; Mental Health (Wales) Measure 2010 (Commencement No.1 and Transitional Provision) Order 2011/3046 art 2(d) (3/1/12); subject to the transitional provision that 'where a qualifying patient in Wales is receiving help under arrangements made under section 130A ... [f]rom the 3/1/12 the help is to be treated as if it had been given under arrangements made under section 130E' (same Order, art 5)