MHA 1983 s132A
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 15. Supervised Community Treatment — paragraphs 15.27 and 15.28
- Mental Health Act 1983 Code Of Practice for England, 2. Information for patients, nearest relatives and others
Duty of managers of hospitals to give information to community patients
[132A.—(1) The managers of the responsible hospital shall take such steps as are practicable to ensure that a community patient understands—
- (a) the effect of the provisions of this Act applying to community patients; and
- (b) what rights of applying to a [tribunal] are available to him in that capacity;
and those steps shall be taken as soon as practicable after the patient becomes a community patient.
(2) The steps to be taken under subsection (1) above shall include giving the requisite information both orally and in writing.
(3) The managers of the responsible hospital shall, except where the community patient otherwise requests, take such steps as are practicable to furnish the person (if any) appearing to them to be his nearest relative with a copy of any information given to him in writing under subsection (1) above; and those steps shall be taken when the information is given to the patient or within a reasonable time thereafter.]
- Transfer of Tribunal Functions Order 2008 wef 3/11/08
- Mental Health Act 2007 s32 & sch 3; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 7 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2008 wef 3/11/08