MHA 1983 s131A
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 12. Detention in hospital, 36. Special provisions in relation to children and young people — paragraphs 12.30 to 12.33 and 36.4 to 36.6
- Mental Health Act 1983 Code Of Practice for England, 36. Children and young people under the age of 18
Accommodation, etc. for children
[131A.—(1) This section applies in respect of any patient who has not attained the age of 18 years and who—
- (a) is liable to be detained in a hospital under this Act; or
- (b) is admitted to, or remains in, a hospital in pursuance of such arrangements as are mentioned in section 131(1) above.
(2) The managers of the hospital shall ensure that the patient's environment in the hospital is suitable having regard to his age (subject to his needs).
(3) For the purpose of deciding how to fulfil the duty under subsection (2) above, the managers shall consult a person who appears to them to have knowledge or experience of cases involving patients who have not attained the age of 18 years which makes him suitable to be consulted.
(4) In this section, "hospital" includes a registered establishment.]
- Mental Health Act 2007 s31(3), Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 11) Order 2010 wef 1/4/10