Section 16 powers: personal welfare
17.—(1) The powers under section 16 as respects P's personal welfare extend in particular to-
- (a) deciding where P is to live;
- (b) deciding what contact, if any, P is to have with any specified persons;
- (c) making an order prohibiting a named person from having contact with P;
- (d) giving or refusing consent to the carrying out or continuation of a treatment by a person providing health care for P;
- (e) giving a direction that a person responsible for P's health care allow a different person to take over that responsibility.
(2) Subsection (1) is subject to section 20 (restrictions on deputies).
The Mental Capacity Act 2005 has been fully in force since 1 October 2007. For details of proposed amendments, see Mental Health Act 2007.