2.—(1) In these regulations, unless the context otherwise requires—
- “the Act” means the Mental Health Act 1983;
- “appropriate medical officer” has the same meaning as in section 16(5) of the Act;
- “the Commission” means the Mental Health Act Commission;
- “document” means any application, recommendation, record, report, order, notice or other document;
- “private guardian”, in relation to a patient, means a person, other than a local social services authority, who acts as guardian under the Act;
- “served”, in relation to a document, includes addressed, delivered, given, forwarded, furnished or sent.
(2) Except insofar as the context otherwise requires, any reference in these regulations to—
- (a) a numbered section is to the section of the Act bearing that number;
- (b) a numbered regulation or Schedule is to the regulation in or Schedule to these regulations bearing that number and any reference in a regulation to a numbered paragraph is a reference to the paragraph of that regulation bearing that number;
- (c) a numbered form is a reference to the form in Schedule 1 bearing that number.