Revision as of 15:31, 21 August 2019 by Jonathan (Adding "Stay up to date" box)
Mental Health Law Online
The internet resource on mental health law, and mental capacity law, for England & Wales. You can read a review of the site here.
Stay up to date
- 27/03/20: Guidance to psychiatrists about remote hearings. Mental Health Tribunal, 'Message to the Royal College of Psychiatrists' (Sarah Johnston and Joan Rutherford, 26/3/20) — (1) This guidance to psychiatrists includes the following: all evidence will be taken before a tribunal judge alone, using BT MeetMe (phone or video); the doctor giving evidence will released after giving evidence except in all but exceptional cases; the patient will not be given the decision orally. (2) To help the tribunal, clinical teams should: (a) submit s2 reports the day before the hearing (to avoid delays); (b) advise the tribunal judge if the patient will be unable to stay in the room or should give evidence first; (c) tell the tribunal judge whether the patient can remain as a voluntary patient (which is no longer possible in many areas); (d) emphasise any limitations of the evidence (for instance if the patient has recently been moved between "clean" and "dirty" coronavirus wards); (e) focus on the statutory criteria; (f) suggest delayed discharge for follow-up to be arranged; (g) give evidence from a private area. (3) The tribunal are encouraging wing members to return to clinical work, and are looking at formats for shorter reports.
- 27/03/20: Proposed reduction on tribunal panel sizes (not MHT). Senior President of Tribunals, 'Proposal to amend Composition Statements' (18/2/20) — This consultation relates to the General Regulatory Chamber, the Social Entitlement Chamber, the Property Chamber and the Health, Education and Social Care Chamber (SEND, Primary Health Lists and Care Standards cases only - not MHT). Consultation closes 14/4/20.
- 27/03/20: Summary of Coronavirus Act 2000. Hill Dickinson LLP, 'Coronavirus Act - key facts' (26/3/20) — This detailed summary of the Coronavirus Act 2020 contains the following headings: (1) Emergency registration of health and social care professionals; (2) Suspension of duties to undertake assessments of need/discharge of patients from hospital; (3) Deaths and inquests; (4) Indemnity for health service activity; (5) Powers in relation to potentially infectious persons; (6) Children; (7) Offences; (8) Impact on NHS employers; (9) Emergency volunteering leave; (10) Statutory sick pay; (11) Changes to the Mental Health Act 1983: (a) Applications for detention under section 2 and section 3; (b) Holding powers; (c) Treatment - administration of medicine to persons liable to detention in hospital; (d) Detention in place of safety; (e) Patients concerned with the criminal justice system.
- 25/03/20: Legislation. Coronavirus Act 2020 — This Act, among other things, amends the MHA 1983 in light of the coronavirus pandemic. The Act is in force on 25/3/20, although s10 and schedules 8-11 (amendments to the MHA and NI/Scottish equivalents) will commence on a date to be specified in regulations.
- No current job adverts
Online CPD scheme providing 12 hours for £60: suitable for solicitors, barristers, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses
The Magic Book is a database of contact details - please contribute to it (the process is quick and simple).
You are required to stay at home, for an initial period of 3 weeks from 23/3/20: only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work; stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people; wash your hands as soon as you get home. The police and other relevant authorities will be given enforcement powers.
- Thalamos: Expert Report Writing - The Fundamentals (Birmingham, 23/4/20)
- MHLA: Introduction to the Court of Protection (London, 6/5/20)
- MHLA: Legal Aid and Peer Review (London, 13/5/20)
- MHLA: Advocacy, Risk and Cross-Examination Masterclass (London, 18/5/20)
- RAB: AMHP Refresher and Re-approval course (London, 1/6/20, 2/6/20 and 3/6/20)
- MHLA: Restricted Cases (London, 4/6/20)
- PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass - Legal Update (Hoylake, 4/6/20)
- PELT: Introduction to MCA and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (Hoylake, 5/6/20)
- PELT: Introduction to the Mental Health Act (Hoylake, 8/6/20)
- PELT: Introduction to using Court of Protection including s21A Appeals (Hoylake, 9/6/20)
- PELT: Accredited - Admission to the MHT Panel (Hoylake, 15/6/20 and 16/6/20)
- PELT: Court of Protection/MCA Masterclass - Legal Update (Hoylake, 2/7/20)
- Edge Training: Sexual relations, contraception, marriage and restricting contact (Manchester, 3/7/20)
- Thalamos: Getting Started in Independent Practice - Best Practice for Psychiatrists (London, 11/9/20)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (Manchester, 25/9/20)
- Court of Protection User Group Meeting (London, 6/10/20)
- Edge Training: Transforming Care (Manchester, 6/11/20)
- PELT: Depriving Children and Young People of their liberty lawfully (Hoylake, Autumn 2020)
- MHLA: Foundation course (Manchester, 2020, new date TBC)
- MHLA: Panel Course (Leeds, 2020, new date TBC)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update - Annual Refresher (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: Hoarding and the Law (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: DOLS Mental Health Assessors Annual Refresher Course (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: Sexual relations, contraception, marriage and restricting contact (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: Liberty Protection Safeguards (Manchester, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update Annual Refresher (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: BIA Report Writing (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: MHA and MCA Interaction (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: DOLS Authorised Signatories (London, summer 2020)
- Edge Training: Self Neglect and the Mental Capacity Act (London, summer 2020)
- MHLA: Legal Aid Supervision (Birmingham, 2020, new date TBC)
- MHLA: Panel Course (London, 2020, new date TBC)
- MHLA: Restricted Cases (Leeds, 2020, new date TBC)
We benefit when you buy fromhaving come from this website