Mental Health Law Online
The internet resource on mental health law, and mental capacity law, for England & Wales. You can read a review of the site here.
- 06/02/19: Event. MHLA: Panel course - Leeds, 6/3/19 and 7/3/19 — The MHLA is an approved provider of the two-day course which must be attended by prospective members of the Law Society’s mental health accreditation scheme. Price: £300 (MHLA members); £390 (non-members); £270 (group discount). CPD: 12 hours. See MHLA website for further details and to book online.
- 06/02/19: Event. MHLA: Panel course - London, 27/2/19 and 28/2/19 — The MHLA is an approved provider of the two-day course which must be attended by prospective members of the Law Society’s mental health accreditation scheme. Price: £300 (MHLA members); £390 (non-members); £270 (group discount). CPD: 12 hours. See MHLA website for further details and to book online.
- 05/02/19: Legislation. Mental Health (Northern Ireland) (Amendment) Order 2018 — This Order amends Article 77 (power to discharge patients other than restricted patients) of the Mental Health (Northern Ireland) Order 1986. The pre-existing situation "could have [had] the effect that a patient who is detainable for assessment, in accordance with Article 4, is discharged before the assessment period is completed even if they meet the criteria for detention assessment (but not the criteria the Tribunal must use)" (para 6.7 of explanatory memorandum).
- 05/02/19: Parliamentary briefing on Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill. Law Society, 'Parliamentary briefing: Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill: House of Commons second reading' (18/12/18) — Extract from Law Society website: "The Law Society is concerned by provisions in the Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill. While attempting to simplify the current arrangements under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS), the Bill removes vital existing safeguards for cared-for people. The Bill should be amended to avoid the unlawful treatment of the vulnerable individuals who receive care and treatment under conditions of detention. Many changes have been made but there is still some way to go. There is a real risk that many of the flaws in the existing system will be duplicated and that the new system will replace one deficient system with another than removes existing safeguards for people. This briefing sets out our key positions on the Bill."
- No current job adverts
Online CPD scheme providing 12 hours for £60: suitable for solicitors, barristers, psychiatrists, social workers and psychiatric nurses
The Magic Book is a database of contact details - please contribute to it (the process is quick and simple).
- Edge Training: Unconscious Bias - London, 11/2/19
- PELT: Becoming a Mental Health Act administrator - the basics (new course) - Hoylake, 12/2/19
- PELT: Advanced course for MHAAs (new course) - Hoylake, 13/2/19
- Edge Training: DOLS Authorised Signatories - London, 25/2/19
- PELT: Introduction to the Mental Health Act - Hoylake, 26/2/19
- MHLA: Panel course - London, 27/2/19 and 28/2/19
- Edge Training: Level 3 Safeguarding Adults, London 4/3/19
- MHLA: Panel course - Leeds, 6/3/19 and 7/3/19
- Edge Training: DOLS Conference - London, 8/3/19
- Edge Training: Understanding the Court of Protection - London, 15/3/19
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update - London, 18/3/19
- Edge Training: DOL, children and young people - London, 22/3/19
- PELT: Introduction to MCA and DOLS - Hoylake, 10/4/19
- Edge Training: BIA Report Writing - London, 26/4/19
- Court of Protection User Group Meeting - London, 30/4/19
- PELT: Depriving Children and Young People of their liberty lawfully - Hoylake, 9/5/19
- PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 14/5/19
- PELT: Court of Protection Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 16/5/19
- PELT: Introduction to using Court of Protection - Hoylake, 5/6/19
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update - London, 7/10/19
We benefit when you buy fromhaving come from this website
Items from Bailii and various blogs have been moved temporarily to the RSS feeds page.