From Mental Health Law Online
This page contains links to external articles and sites which do not easily fit into any existing pages. See also Settled cases and forthcoming judgments.
- Lucy Series, 'My top ten Mental Capacity Act resources' (The Small Places Blog, 27/12/12). This article recommends the following resources: (1) Mental Health Law Online, (2) 39 Essex Street Court of Protection Newsletter, (3) Court of Protection Law Reports, (4) Mental Capacity Act Manual, (5) Social Care Institute for Excellence, (6) Google Alerts, (7) Essex Autonomy Project, (8) Mental Health Foundation MCA literature review, (9) Mental Disability Advocacy Center, (10) Twitter.
- Panorama, 'Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed' (broadcast 31/5/11). Available to view online for 12 months from the date of broadcast
- Guardian, 'Smokers win right to challenge hospital ban' (6/5/11). Silber J gave permission to seek judicial review of Chadwick Lodge's policy of prohibiting smoking on hospital grounds (indoors or outdoors) or on escorted community leave. See Smoking.
- Julian Hendy, 'Scandal of mentally ill man who killed his father, was then released...and killed his mother' (Mail on Sunday, 10/4/11). This article is critical of mental health services, including mental health tribunals (for being in private), internal homicide inquiries (for being unreliable) and independent inquiries (for being repeatedly ignored).
- Mark Gould, 'Mental health patients complain of "zombification"' (Guardian, 15/3/11). This article discusses the increasing use of detention and CTOs.
- BBC, 'Care workers use glove puppet to bully elderly women', 6/1/11. This article involves a prosecution under MCA 2005 s44.
- Private Eye, 'Mental Health: Catch 22' (Eye 1277, 10-23 December 2010). This article refers to the situation where Article 5 prevented patients from being discharged from hospital to conditions which amounted to a deprivation of liberty (which is no longer the case following SSJ v RB (2010) UKUT 454 (AAC)).
- Hugh Southey QC and Jesse Nicholls, 'Mental Health Law Update', presentation by Hugh Southey to Mental Health Lawyers Association conference on 19/11/10
- Fiona Bawdon, 'Mental health patients face legal aid delay', Guardian 9/11/10 - This article is about the effect of the LSC's refusal to grant additional 'matter starts' to mental health law firms towards the end of the current contract period
- Channel 4 News: Family condemn 'barbaric' council over removal (text and video) - (video only) - 5/8/10 - This relates to G v E, Manchester City Council and F (2010) EWHC 2042 (Fam)
- BBC: Madness in the Fast Lane - 10/8/10 - Tabloid television about a mentally-ill lady's progress through the justice system
- BBC File on Four: 'Court of Protection cost me £50,000' - Broadcast on 27/7/10, repeated on 1/8/10 and available on BBC website
- BBC iPlayer: Mental: A History of the Madhouse - broadcast on 17/5/10 and 20/5/10 - Documentary about the closure of Britain's mental asylums
- Guardian: BBC4 to screen mental health documentary on sectioning - published 11/5/10 - The programme will be shown on 19/5/10 at 2100hrs.
- HundredFamilies.org: Practical information for families affected by mental health homicides in Britain - This detailed website was created alongside the BBC2 documentary "Why did you kill my dad?" which was shown on 1/3/10