MHA 1983 s92
Changes made by Mental Health Act 2007
- New cross-border arrangements for leave and transfer 3/11/08
- Mental disorder no longer split into separate classifications 3/11/08
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 25. Transfer of patients from outside England and Wales, 26. Transfer of patients to Scotland, 27. Transfer of patients to Northern Ireland, 28. Transfer of patients to the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, 29. Removal of foreign patients — chapters 25 to 29 (passim)
Interpretation of Part VI
92.—(1) References in this Part of this Act to a hospital, being a hospital in England and Wales, shall be construed as references to a hospital within the meaning of Part II of this Act.
[(1A) References in this Part of this Act to the responsible clinician shall be construed as references to the responsible clinician within the meaning of Part 2 of this Act.]
(2) Where a patient is treated by virtue of this Part of this Act as if he had been removed to a hospital in England and Wales in pursuance of a direction under Part III of this Act, that direction shall be deemed to have been given on the date of his reception into the hospital.
[(4) Sections 80 to 85A above shall have effect as if—
- (a) any hospital direction under section 45A above were a transfer direction under section 47 above; and
- (b) any limitation direction under section 45A above were a restriction direction under section 49 above.
(5) Sections 80(5), 81(6) and 85(4) above shall have effect as if any reference to a transfer direction given while a patient was serving a sentence of imprisonment imposed by a court included a reference to a hospital direction given by a court after imposing a sentence of imprisonment on a patient.]
- Mental Health Act 2007 s39 & sch 5, s55 & sch 11; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No. 7 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2008 wef 3/11/08
- Crime (Sentences) Act 1997