MHA 1983 s64B
Change made by Mental Health Act 2007
Any cases with a hyperlink to this legislation will automatically be added here. There may be other relevant cases without a hyperlink, so please check the mental health case law page.
[The chapter/paragraph numbers which appear below (if any) refer to the 2008 versions of the Code of Practice and Reference Guide.]
- Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983, 17. Medical treatment of Supervised Community Treatment patients (Part 4A) — chapter 17
- Mental Health Act 1983 Code Of Practice for England, 23. Medical treatment under the Act, 24. Treatments subject to special rules and procedures
Adult community patients
[64B.—(1) This section applies to the giving of relevant treatment to a community patient who—
- (a) is not recalled to hospital under section 17E above; and
- (b) has attained the age of 16 years.
(2) The treatment may not be given to the patient unless—
- (a) there is authority to give it to him; and
- (b) if it is section 58 type treatment or section 58A type treatment, the certificate requirement is met.
(3) But the certificate requirement does not apply if—
- (a) giving the treatment to the patient is authorised in accordance with section 64G below; or
- (b) the treatment is immediately necessary and—
- (i) the patient has capacity to consent to it and does consent to it; or
- (ii) a donee or deputy or the Court of Protection consents to the treatment on the patient's behalf.
(4) Nor does the certificate requirement apply in so far as the administration of medicine to the patient at any time during the period of one month beginning with the day on which the community treatment order is made is section 58 type treatment.
(5) The reference in subsection (4) above to the administration of medicine does not include any form of treatment specified under section 58(1)(a) above.]