62.—(1) Sections 57 and 58 above shall not apply to any treatment—
- (a) which is immediately necessary to save the patient’s life; or
- (b) which (not being irreversible) is immediately necessary to prevent a serious deterioration of his condition; or
- (c) which (not being irreversible or hazardous) is immediately necessary to alleviate serious suffering by the patient; or
- (d) which (not being irreversible or hazardous) is immediately necessary and represents the minimum interference necessary to prevent the patient from behaving violently or being a danger to himself or to others.
[(1A) Section 58A above, in so far as it relates to electro-convulsive therapy by virtue of subsection (1)(a) of that section, shall not apply to any treatment which falls within paragraph (a) or (b) of subsection (1) above.
(1B) Section 58A above, in so far as it relates to a form of treatment specified by virtue of subsection (1)(b) of that section, shall not apply to any treatment which falls within such of paragraphs (a) to (d) of subsection (1) above as may be specified in regulations under that section.
(1C) For the purposes of subsection (1B) above, the regulations—
- (a) may make different provision for different cases (and may, in particular, make different provision for different forms of treatment);
- (b) may make provision which applies subject to specified exceptions; and
- (c) may include transitional, consequential, incidental or supplemental provision.]
(2) Sections 60 and 61(3) above shall not preclude the continuation of any treatment or of treatment under any plan pending compliance with section 57[, 58 or 58A] above if the [approved clinician in charge of the treatment] considers that the discontinuance of the treatment or of treatment under the plan would cause serious suffering to the patient.
(3) For the purposes of this section treatment is irreversible if it has unfavourable irreversible physical or psychological consequences and hazardous if it entails significant physical hazard.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Mental Health Act 2007 s12, s28; Mental Health Act 2007 (Commencement No.7 and Transitional Provisions) Order 2008 wef 3/11/08