55.—(1) Subject to Court of Protection Rules, the costs of and incidental to all proceedings in the court are in its discretion.
(2) The rules may in particular make provision for regulating matters relating to the costs of those proceedings, including prescribing scales of costs to be paid to legal or other representatives.
(3) The court has full power to determine by whom and to what extent the costs are to be paid.
(4) The court may, in any proceedings-
the whole of any wasted costs or such part of them as may be determined in accordance with the rules.
(5) "Legal or other representative", in relation to a party to proceedings, means any person exercising a right of audience or right to conduct litigation on his behalf.
(6) "Wasted costs" means any costs incurred by a party-
The Mental Capacity Act 2005 has been fully in force since 1 October 2007. For details of proposed amendments, see Mental Health Act 2007.