Your events can be listed here for £60 (no fee for free events). Email jonathan at mentalhealthlaw.co.uk
- Edge Training: DOL, children and young people - London, 22/3/19 — This course aims to update staff working with children, young people and those in transition with the latest case law and developments in relation to deprivation of liberty. The course will consider these developments and the impact on practice. It examines the Supreme Court ruling on deprivation of liberty and considers practical issues in its application for children and young people. Price: £140 plus VAT. See Edge Training website for further details and booking information.
- Edge Training: BIA Legal Update (Annual Refresher) - London, 1/4/19 — This course aims to provide an essential update on case law in relation to the role of the BIA. Learning outcomes: consider the latest DoLS news, research and guidance; examine the latest case law relevant to DoLS and the BIA role; reflect on how the information covered affects BIA practice. Speaker: Steven Richards. Cost: £140 plus VAT. See Edge website for further details and booking information
- PELT: Introduction to MCA and DOLS - Hoylake, 10/4/19 — This is an intensive introduction to all those who need a basic understanding of the MCA and DOLS. Identifying the ‘decision maker’ as the person responsible for the outcome of that particular decision is the key to lawful decision making on behalf of those who lack capacity. Realising that depriving a person of their liberty removes the legal protection given to decision makers unless the deprivation is 'prescribed by law' catches many people out. Not knowing what you don’t know promotes risky practice. Speaker: Peter Edwards. Price: £125 plus VAT. See Peter Edwards Law website for further details and booking information.
- Edge Training: BIA Report Writing - London, 26/4/19 — This course is targeted specifically at qualified Best Interests Assessors (BIAs) and aims to provide them with the knowledge and skills needed to ensure robust and legally defensible assessments under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding (DoLS). Speaker: Piers McNeil. Price: £140 plus VAT. See Edge Training website for further details and booking information.
- Court of Protection User Group Meeting - London, 30/4/19 — See Court of Protection User Group for information about the group. Contact Tolu Somade, Business Support Officer to HHJ Hilder (tolulope.somade@Justice.gov.uk) to confirm attendance at the meeting. Time: 2pm. Note change of date (previously was 23/4/19)
- PELT: Depriving Children and Young People of their liberty lawfully - Hoylake, 9/5/19 — "DoLs start at 18. MCA 16. MHA no minimum age for detention. How to lawfully deprive a child or young person of their liberty requires great care. What is a DoL and where does parental responsibility fit? The course will look at the complex inter relationship between the MCA, MHA and Children Act. When should a child or young person be sectioned? What alternatives are there? Where does s.25 Children Act (secure accommodation) fit in?" Speaker: Peter Edwards. Price: £125 plus VAT. See Peter Edwards Law website for further details and booking information.
- PELT: Mental Health Act Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 14/5/19 — This course will allow practitioners to reflect on and update their practice by ensuring they have an up-to-date understanding of the law. The contents of the course will be up to date and reflect any changes or significant developments which affect lawful practice. Speaker: Peter Edwards. Price: £125 plus VAT. See Peter Edwards Law website for further details and booking information.
- PELT: Court of Protection Masterclass (new material) - Hoylake, 16/5/19 — This course reviews recent developments in Court of Protection cases. It will include the latest CoP cases on deprivation of liberty, capacity, health and welfare, Legal Aid and treatment and what practitioners can learn from these cases that will promote effective and lawful practice. It will also cover the developing role of ALRs and how they can be utilised, and what the implications will be for litigation friends and IMCAs. Speaker: Peter Edwards. Price: £125 plus VAT. See Peter Edwards Law website for further details and booking information.
- RAB: AMHP Refresher and Re-approval course - London, 3/6/19 to 5/6/19 — This 3-day course is based near London Bridge station at the London Councils training venue. It prepares AMHPs for re-approval as well as providing 18 hours of training to meet the annual regulatory requirement. Speakers: Rob Brown and Christine Hutchison. Cost £400 + VAT. Contact Rob Brown on email@example.com for further details and booking information.
- PELT: Introduction to using Court of Protection - Hoylake, 5/6/19 — The Court of Protection has a very wide ambit, potentially touching the lives of many vulnerable people. It is now the place where deprivation of liberty safeguards and procedures are authorised or challenged and where arguments about capacity or adult protection and best interests are resolved. It is essential that all those working with vulnerable people/safeguarding have an understanding of how to access and use the Court. In certain circumstances there is a legal obligation on authorities to apply to the Court. Speaker: Peter Edwards. Price: £125 plus VAT. See Peter Edwards Law website for further details and booking information.
- Edge Training: MCA and Tenancy Agreements - London, 14/6/19 — This course will consider how staff should assess mental capacity in relation to tenancy agreements and the key case law in this area. It will also consider the legal validity of tenancy agreements signed by, or on behalf of, those lacking capacity; and when people lacking capacity may be placed without a tenancy agreement being in place. Speaker: Aasya Mughal. Cost: £140 plus VAT. See Edge Training website for further details and booking information.
- Edge Training: Hoarding and the Law - London, 21/6/19 — This one-day interactive course for mental health and social care professionals reviews the different manifestations of hoarding and the possible origins of this behaviour, and then considers a range of possible responses under the law and where each one might be appropriate. Speaker: Simon Foster. Cost: £140 plus VAT. See Edge Training website for further details and booking information.
- Edge Training: AMHP Legal Update - London, 7/10/19 — The main aim is to give AMHPs the opportunity to update their legal knowledge and skills regarding their work under the Mental Health Act 1983. This update has a focus on practice dilemmas arising from recent statutory changes as well as case law developments. Speaker: Rob Brown. Price: £140 plus VAT. See Edge Training website for further details and booking information.